Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Alumni Networking

Ana María Zermeñoooo???, Whats up?, Do you remember me? It's been a while!!!! It's a pleasure to find you again!!!!
Have you find someone you met when you were younger? and then one recognize the other and then after the "initial greetings", you hug, then ask a lot of questions, and then you found yourself wanting to meet again with your friend? For me it's something that happens quite frequently, so this post it's dedicated to those furtive encounters and how to work them.
I was at a coffee house with a group of friends, and next to us Kathy sat down, she was my basic school friend. She recognized me, at my point of view I haven't changed a lot on this 30 years, and she reached me and asked if I was Ana Maria Zermeño and when I see her face, I remember her from back before. The best of this encounter was our conversation:
K: Do you remember Silvia Mirthala?
A: Of course, the three of us were best friends.
K: Well I reach her the past week at the supermarket and now I have her contact, you know, phone, email. This can't be random, we have to get together, when are you available?
A: For my friends, always.
K: Please phone me to my mobile, this way I keep your contact and send you a message.
On the following half an hour, we had a Whatsapp group and the meeting was planned for the next day. This is the way you demonstrate your friends that you are always available for them. In this group we asked, smoke? drink?... so we decided the place were the meeting had to be, a bar with smoking area, this reunion will be long. 
Silvia, Kathy y Yo
Silvia, Kathy and Me
As you may imagine, the happiness we had when we met together, we didn't have enough time to speak and listen, it was 30 years since our last party and as if it was yesterday, we had a lot of things to share. We didn't finish on the next following 4 hours, so we planned the next meeting. For real we will continue the next reunion.
An interesting part of this event were the professional comments we share, each one explained the personal professional experience, Silvia is an event planner, conferences, seminars. Kathy is an official translator and for 25 years was an entrepreneur. Me, I'm into the academic profession. We find out some coincidences and we intend to look for some other opportunities to work together. The time will say. 
So I will share some basic thoughts on your alumni reunion:
1.- If you recognize someone, do not hesitate on reach her, by sure she will be thankful on this recognition and maybe thank also the detail.
2.- Make things happen, as soon as possible seize the opportunity, if there's been a while, have disposition and relaxation.
3.- Remember is to live again, try to meet on some more events, try to remember the good times and have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment