Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Flavors of the world



The last weekend I had the opportunity to visit with my kids a typical restaurant of Chinese food, at something that Latinos will know as Chinese breakfast.
Everything started on the year 2013 when I had the chance to visit Shanghai and I discover the real and typical Chinese food, not the commercial one, but the original produced by the citizens of that faraway country.
Since my first visit to a restaurant over there, I was impressed by the different way the people over there eat and cooks meals, for example at a breakfast buffet I was expecting to see eggs, hotcakes, fruit, yogurt or granola. But for Chinese people the breakfast could be a three-course meal.
Chino 4
To the point, chatting with a friend he told me that the Chinese breakfast is known as Dim Sum, and that is a real event to get some of it in the different places, because it takes a little long to prepare it.
With this in mind, I decided to look in Internet, as I have told you before in Mexico City you can get almost everything, so I thought that it will be easy to find this type of food, just doing a little research. And for my surprise that I not just find what I was looking for, but a blogger had posted his insights about the 10 best Dim Sum in Mexico City:
So we follow the recommendation and arrive early to the restaurant. Of course it was 9:00am and they didn't have the service. In Chinese culture the food is served early in the morning, but in Mexican culture, not so much, so we have to wait a little for the food to be ready.
Chino
Aligned with this cultural theme I have to tell you that the owners of the restaurant are a family from Hong Kong, so they only speak in their language. It became a little difficult to communicate with them, but they had a waitress that speak Spanish, a Mexican indeed, and she became our interpreter for every explanation.
The experience, really interesting, I didn't know what to ask for, even though some of the dishes I had tasted them before. My friend send me some information by Whatsapp, and I asked for them but I didn't had the opportunity to get the food he told me.
The funniest thing happened when our waitress try to communicate with the Hong Kong family, asking them my food list and the family tell her that they do not know what she was speaking about. At the end the waitress told us, this Chinese people didn't understand your Chinese, you will have to settle with the food that is on the table.
Try knew foreign foods is a real adventure that I highly recommend. I share with you some tips to enjoy the most of the experience:
1.- All the countries have their typical special food, select the food you want to try, and then make a research on the community in your city, the more people from that place living near you , the more possibilities. 
2.- Look for in Internet the possible options that are available in your city, check for dates and days when the service is offered. Here you may find about prices, menu and if you need a previous reservation. If your city has a lot of habitants of the place, you may find reviews and additional suggestions.
3.- Go with a learning attitude, it is possible that you find things you never imagined, sometimes it will be a good surprise, sometimes not so much. The important thing is to get to know different cultures and dishes to expand our knowledge.
Chino 2

No comments:

Post a Comment