Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Market Networking



The past weekend I went to the Market to get all the stuff for the week, and leave without paying...
This is my first time shopping for groceries at a market, I used to went to the supermarket franchises, because my job duties won't allow me to get on time to this fabulous places that in Mexico are really popular.
Since I came here, the people recommend me to go to the market, and I have to accept that I was reluctant to change my shopping habits. But in the meanwhile I realized that I should adapt myself to buy and consume on the places that the locals do, because trying to maintain my habits is becoming complicated. I think that I should practice my resilience.
Frutas y Verduras
Fruits and Vegetables
The first thing I learn to buy was the fruits and vegetables, I have here my "Marchantes" (Sellers), they show me the fresher fruit and they take care that I should not choose yesterday's coriander. This would never happen at a convenience store, if you find your fruit, you take it and no one will tell you anything about its freshness.

Pescadería
Fish Station

Then I went to the fish station, this became a very interesting experience, the lady that sell me the fish, told me which one was the fresher and she gave me a recipe to make a mouth watering fish broth.

I move forward and buy some species to make some "Mole", I always brought the one that is preprepared, now I came home with a bag of "Mole Almendrado" (Almond Mole), and it included the recipe to cook it.
Carnicería
Butcher
 Once I start my shopping, it's difficult to stop me, so I went to the Butcher and he explain me how to ask for smoked pork chops, He promised that those chops will be the better I could ask for. As a good seller he also convinced me to buy ground beef and "longaniza" (kind of sausage).

Pollería
Pollería
To finish my shopping day, I stopped by the poultry station, remember I had the "mole", now I have to get the next ingredients. It's amazing on how this people make all the cuts, confection, smashing, feather cutoff, etc. I was so interested on the process, and then taking pictures that we came out without paying to my new friend.

The advantage was that on the process, she listen to me that I had to get some bags that I had forgotten and really shy on what happened, she told me that she had forgotten to collect my payment, at this time I don't know who of us was the most ashamed. I apologized and promised to came back to buy to her more chicken, she of course became my new bff.
So my recommendations to make market networking:
1.- People that work at a market want to create a customer relationship, so they are really kind and will try to give you the best service. Seize this opportunity, it is nice to get all this attention at once.
2.- If you become friend of yours "marchantes", the will give you good recommendations, at the end they are the experts on their products and merchandises, and if lucky, you will get an interesting sale offer.
3.- Its a both way relationship, so if one day you forget to pay, for sure they will track you and with a little shame they will collect the payment. In your case, you maybe be ashamed too and will try to avoid to repeat the damage. That is what a friendship is all about, to learn how to apologize and to learn to tell your friend when he is committing a mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment