Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Sancocho Meal




This weekend, Thelma invited us to eat Sancocho, a typical meal from Dominican Republic and it looks that it has a lot of cultural traditions in this meal invitation.
First, this dish is considered one of Dominican national dishes, it consists of white rice, meats, tubercle, vegetables and spices. You can also add orange juice. They explain me that this soup is made on the rainy days because of the warmth that this cooking brings to the house and to the people. 
I think this is why this Sancocho is so popular among my friends, its perfect for Mexico City, here it rains every day and the weather is mostly cold. There will be people that say that it's not true, but I can't get used to it.
Else wise inviting some of our common friends, Thelma also invited her Dominican friends. So the moment I arrived to her house, I could listen that the conversations were a little different of mine. Almost all the people there where foreigners, the accent theme was interesting.


Before bringing the soup, they play some music and all of a sudden there were a lot of people dancing in the living room. Thelma explained me that in Dominican Republic they dance every time they gather around. There are not explanations to be done, when the music starts, the people stand up and dance. I thing that I should be born Dominican, because I love dancing.


One the people get tired of dancing, started the appetizers time, of course they where done in the Dominican way: Banana with Chorizo, Fried Yucca, Yucca's bread with Chicharron. The Sancocho was done in two types, first the traditional one and the second one with some beans. Because this soup has a lot of texture, I just eat the traditional one. I left the second one to the next invitation to Thelma's Sancocho.


When the party was getting to it's end, we had appetizers, soup and desserts. We have been dancing, singing and speaking about this delicious food. Once again, the interest of tasting some different types of food, learning about cultural traditions and making some networking lead me to have an excellent Saturday evening at Mexico City.
Have you tryied Sancocho? Let us know about your experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment