Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Earful Networking




It's been more than 30 years that I haven't had a "scold" for answer back. Have you had a call of attention lately?
Last week I met Fernando, my Blog's editor, I had a lot of questions about my post performance. He was trying to explain how I should interact, write and tell the story without being to much academic.
As a good student, I interrupt him constantly, instead of listening, I gave him my side of the story on how it was going to be a very difficult thing to do, telling him why I thing his ideas were not as good as he thought. The conversation lasted for a while, until he get angry, and I believe with reason, he stopped me... "Well are you going to listen to my advice? or should I leave you with your archaic ideas? I was on the impression that you were looking for advice but you are closed to it."
I felt as a cold bucket of ice went on me... I felt pretty bad, at the end he was helping me and I was not listening to his advice... I was placing walls between us. At some point he asked me: "How do you think this is going to help you?" and I answered I think with a post. :S
So making the most of this experience, and relating it to my Blog's theme this is my thinking about this experience:
1.- If you ask for support to an expert, do what he says, do not tell him how you can't do what he says, probably you will be wrong and your friend will tell you "I told you so" because he is an expert.
One of my questions with him was related to the number of people that was interacting at this space, and to say the truth its not that much people. I was just for quitting and stop writing. Then he asked me, Do you like what you do? yes... so you are going to quit because you are not sure about what the people think, of if they like this space or not? I really think that you were making this because it was fun for you.
2.- Your hobbies should be fun for you, this is a direct advice from Fernando, you do not have to think if there is someone else that likes or not what you are doing. If you like to write, do it and then deal with the people.
My third question was related to the social media security and the people that was trying to contact me outside the spaces prepared to do it. His next comment let me with no words...
3.- If you don't want that people in Internet, look at you, don't be in Internet, you will be trying to avoid the inevitable, that the people get in contact... so with a lot of caution but interact with people and live your life.
Tell me, have you had a similar experience? Do you have the opportunity to speak with an expert?

No comments:

Post a Comment