Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Intercultural Communication





Have you ever experienced that even speaking the same language you won't get understood? It happens so me frequently, so I want to share with you some examples that I've experienced so you may have reference to act when in similar situations you are.
1.- The verb grab or take (agarrar o tomar), in Mexico will never be get (coger). The Mexican double meaning of the words has some sexual connotations, so be careful when you are here and use this word, people will start laughing.
2.- Here we ask things very careful and we take a lot of consideration on the words we use in order to not come out with an aggressive comment, at the North the people is less stressed about this situation and we are considered to be belligerent: "Can you hand me a napkin please?" but in the center and south of this country it would sound like: "May I bother you with a little napkin, pleasssy?" At some other countries you may not bother or give more information... you just ask for your napkins and because its the waiter obligation to provide them, in so many cases the word please is not used at all.
3.- When you go to latinamerica and they ask for your number, they are meaning your id number, not your cellphone. Do not get confused by this, they are not being flirty, this is a common mistake that happens usually to  Mexican girls.
4.- If they call you in Mexico and you answer "what (que)" your mom will argue and tell you it's not "que" you have to say "instruct me (mande)". At any other country the people should understand with a "tell me" or a "yes" and our very common word "mande (instruct me)" make people think we are still in a servant economy or so. 
5.- Last but not least I would like to give a special mention to the Mexican "ahorita" (right now), this may be from one minute to an extra 3 week delay, the difference may strive on the context and your special need. One day I took my car to the shop, for a minor repair, the repairman say me "ahorita" and it took him 3 weeks to give my car back.
So remember depending on the place you are, you may consider to review the local definitions of the words, be careful on your language use.

No comments:

Post a Comment